Download: Episode 7
We talked about…
1) Retro gaming and the reasons people play classic games.
2) Irrational Games shutting down! (Just beat me to it. Was in the process of linking stories to this)
(System shock, tribes3, freedom force, swat 4, bioshock)
– Sean Elliot employers!
– Ken Levine to start new downsized studio with just 15 people to make replayable narrative based game. 200 employees dropped (James added this part. The arrogant authorship of youth)
– Levine described as toxic egomaniac by bioshock designer
Quote on this from David Hollingworth of PCAuthority: Could not someone else have stepped up to run the studio, and create great games? This just seems to smack of the idea that Irrational would be nothing without Levine’s presence, which is quite the smack in the face to the people now left behind as he moves on.
– Another perspective – This was face saving by Take 2 – and Irrational was just shut down with some good PR
– Why would T2 pull this move now? Irrational is for the most part highly profitable and T2’s quarterly projections are being met.