I write fiction and develop work for radio, stage and screen. I make my living as an independent radio producer – creating documentaries and drama series for local and national radio. My work uses sound in a cinematic textural way, to explore unique perspectives and lived experiences. I’m an occasional arts correspondent for RTE Lyric FM’s Culture File programme. I perform with the improv group Tickled by Freaks, tell tall tales in public, make short films and sometimes act. I co-founded the educational non-profit Open Learning Ireland, and served on the board of directors of collaborative art centre Exchange Dublin. I currently serve as Communications Officer for the Association of Radio Producers Ireland. I’m an active member of The Attic, the Writers Guild of Ireland and A4 Sounds collective. I graduated with 1st class honours from the TCD’s Psychology undergraduate programme in 2009.
- Sightless Cinema – sound design / recording for Ciaran Taylor’s radio drama project.
- Getting into the Game – videogame development documentary for Newstalk.
- The Wall in the Mind – six part, BAI funded, location recorded drama series for Newstalk.
- The Wedding Tree. BAI funded drama for Newstalk.
- The Bee-Loud Glade Live. Radio version of Roger Gregg’s popular Bee-Loud Glade Cabaret show. BAI funded, and currently in production for RTE Lyric FM.
- Reporter, RTE Lyric FM’s Reporter, RTE Lyric FM’s Culture File.
- Actor, various parts,’Rising Heat Trilogy‘, Near FM (2015).
- Actor, various parts, Lost Easter Voices, Near FM (2015).
- Actor, various parts, ‘Irish Scientists Who Changed the World‘, East Coast FM (2016).
- Writer / Producer / Performer, ‘Any Other Dublin‘, BAI Sound and Vision funded comedy series. Broadcast in 2013 on Dublin City FM.
- Co-writer / Producer / Performer, ‘The Emerald Arts‘ comedy series, broadcast on Near FM, 2011.
- Producer / Researcher / Presenter, ‘Mad Scientists of Music‘, BAI Sound and Vision funded music documentary series. Broadcast in 2014 on Near FM.
- Executive Producer / Presenter, The Gareth Stack Show: Live, 2014, Radiomade.ie
- Executive Producer / Presenter, Threat Detection (videogame podcast), 2014, Radiomade.ie
- Writer / Producer / Performer, ‘Choices‘, BAI Sound and Vision funded comedy series. Broadcast in 2014 on Dublin City FM.
- Writer / Producer / Performer, ‘Been There; Seen There‘, BAI Sound and Vision funded comedy series. Broadcast in 2012 on Near FM.
- Taught ‘Storytelling Through Sound‘ course at A4 Sounds, 2016
- Taught ‘Podcasting’ workshop at A4 Sounds, 2016
- Delivered lecture ‘The Sound and Vision Fund: A Radio Producers Perspective‘, to NUJ Freelance Forum 2016
- Awarded ‘Your Story, Your Sound‘ prize, at the Sounds Alive Festival 2014.
- Shortlisted for at Ballyhoura Award at the HearSay Festival 2014.
- Art radio piece Paraudiolia 1 featured in Bluebottle Collective‘s ‘Hibernation Radio‘ Project, 2015.
- Voice performance in a variety of roles for ‘On The Line’, and the children’s radio series ‘The Urblin Chronicles’, both on Dublin City FM, 2010.
- Station Manager / Senior Producer / Web Dude, Trinity FM, 2005 – 2008.
- Shortlisted for Student Media Award for music show ‘Footnotes’ (MP3) with Steven Shannon, 2007.
- Kick the Kat, music show Trinity FM, 2004 – 2009.
- East Coast / West Coast, a short podcast documentary about my travels around the United States.
- Various dramatic story readings for Hugo Award Winning Podcast ‘Starship Sofa‘, and other shows like Tales To Terrify and Crime City Central.
- Co-presenter / Producer, ‘Reading Plays‘, playwriting discussion show, 2015.
- Writer / Producer / Performer, ‘Dead Medium‘ weekly podcast comedy series, 2012.
- Writer / Producer / Performer, ‘The Invisible Tour Guide’ podcast comedy series, 2009.
- Co-hosted video lecture to EdTech 2006 Conference, on Podcasting in Education.
- ‘Technolotics’, an internet TV show about technology and politics in 2005, with Francis McGillicuddy and Jason McCandless.
- Workshop performance of ‘Mic Drop’, coming to Scene & Heard Festival in 2017
- Short play ‘One Night, Forever Ago’ staged as part of ‘The New Irish Playbook‘.
- Actor, ‘Tom’ in feature, ‘Out of Here‘, (dir. Donal Foreman), 2013.
- Writer / Director, ‘Little Black Lies’ (in-post), short, 2016.
- Writer / Director, ‘Spaghetti D*ck‘, short, 2015.
- Writer / Director / Actor, ‘Lads‘, short, 2015.
- Writer / Director / Actor, ‘Last Call‘, short, 2010.
- Actor, Thugs, short (dir. Tadgh Collins) 2016.
- Actor, Me Bleedin Ride (dir. Lee Schatzman) 2014.
- Actor, music video ‘Too Late For Christmas‘ (dir. David Turpin) 2015.
- Cameo, ‘Daywalker’, short, (dir. Greg Fitzpatrick) 2015.
- Performance piece ‘Deathness Injections Industrial Terror Noise Opera‘ at Species Festival, February 2015.
- Cameo, ‘The Startup‘, short (dir. Tom Rowley), 2014.
- Sound engineer, Abortion Rights Campaign short (dir. Elaine Gallagher)
- Sound engineer, ‘Infidelity’ (dir. Tadhg Collins)
- Sound engineer, ‘The Apple of my iPhone’ (dir. Michael J. Kunze)
- Sound engineer, ‘Daywalker’ (dir. Greg Fitzpatrick)
- Sound engineer, ‘Amelia‘ (dir. Jemma Curran)
- Sound engineer, ‘Summoning Corporate Demons‘ (dir. Roger Gregg).
- Article, ‘Turning Learning On Its Head’, Explore Magazine, 2012.
- Comic novel, ‘The Wager’, unpublished, 2010.
- Comic novel, ‘Jackdaw Fool‘, with Andrew Booth, unpublished, 2009.
- Columnist for Irish adult magazine, Blue Ireland, 2010.
- Assistant Editor TCD’s satirical Piranha! Magazine (PDF), 2008 / 2009.
- Short Story, ‘Creep Doll‘, published in Irish Science Fiction Magazine Albedo One, 2009.
- Assistant Editor and writer for nationwide music magazine ‘Analogue‘, 2007 / 2008.
- Performed with improv group, Tickled by Freaks, 2016
Performed gigs around Dublin and at Edinburgh Fringe festival.
- Story, ‘Whats in the bag?’ at ‘The Moth Dublin’, November 2014.
- Reading ‘Diary of a Dublin Sex Man‘ @ Bluebottle Collective launch.
- Recital Iggy McGovern’s ‘The Bony’ @ The Bee Loud Glade Halloween Show, 2011.
- Ignite Lecture, ‘The Nuts & Bolts of Making Stuff Up’, Mindfield Festival, 2011.
- Ignite Lecture, ‘Genius Is As Common As Dirt‘, Electric Picnic, 2011.
- MC @ Milk and Cookie Stories After Dark I & II, and Milk & Cookies Garden Party Festival, 2010 / 2011.
- MC @ Digital Socket Awards, 2011.
- MC @ Upstart Wrestling Slam, 2011.
- Comic monologue @ Literary Death Match, 2011.
- Set up Marshmallow Ladyboy Jesus, monthly alternative literary and experimental comedy showcase @ Exchange Dublin & Twisted Pepper, 2010 / 2011. Selection of videos on youtube.
- Cheaper Than Therapy, one man show as part of Beatyard’s Comedy Festival, 2010.
- Standup Comedy, over 80 gigs around Dublin and Ireland, beginning 2009.
- Storytelling @ Milk & Cookie Stories, Tongue Box, Scarleh Fer Yer Ma Fer Havin’ Ya, The Underground, and the Neptune Comedy Club, 2009 – 2011.
- Studied Professional Course in Psychotherapy at Tivoli Institute, Dun Laoghaire, 2012-2014.
- Studied Counselling & Psychotherapy, Institute for Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy, 2011 / 2012.
- Single Honour Psychology, first class degree, Trinity College Dublin, 2004 – 2009.
Art & Activism
- Exhibited as part of the ‘More Than One Maker‘ exhibition at Irish Museum of Modern Art, May / June 2015.
- Organised week long learning festival, ‘Learn Something; Share Something; Do Something’, February 2013.
- Video art show, ‘Hollywood Ending‘, Exchange Dublin, 2012.
- Established ‘Open Learning Ireland‘, education non-profit, 2011.
- Founder & teacher @ Exchange Words, creative writing performance class and show, 2009 – 2012.
- Coordinator and member of board of directors, Exchange Dublin Cooperative Art Space, 2009 – 2012.
- Volunteer @ Seomra Spraoi, 2009.
- Volunteer @ St John of Gods Homeless Kitchen, 2007.
- Volunteer Reader with Vincent De Paul @ St Audeons School, 2004 / 2005.
Nice Things folks have said about me
‘Gareth Stack is a celebrated wit.’ Sam Coll.
‘Any Other Dublin’, was rebroadcast in 2014 on the American radio show ‘Radio Drama Revival’, who described it on air as “a wonderful delight to hear”, and “Irish in the best way possible” with “really fine writing and solid acting”.
‘Gareth Stack Explains Bebo, and Very Well Too!’
John Breslin, Researcher and Lecturer in semantic web and social software, NUI Galway
Founder: Boards.ie, The Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities Project
One of..‘the most original thinkers I’ve spotted on the internet’
Bernie Goldbach, Lecturer Computing and Multimedia, Tipperary Institute, Columnist Irish Examiner
Founder: Underway In Ireland, IrishEyes.
‘If I were a mobile phone company, or a big technology company, I’d hire him for the Summer and hope to suck the goodness out of his brain.’
Simon McGarr, McGarr Solicitors.
‘Gareth Stack has a sophisticated explanation of how the social networking page farm draws users in’
Seamus McCauley, Strategic Analyst at Associated Northcliffe Digital
Founder: Virtual Economics.
“I just finished reading one of your stories, The Cave, and I wanted to tell you that it is really great. Thank you for sharing that; I haven’t read anything so vivid and imaginative in a while.”
Ego Plum, American composer, performer and visual artist.
Founder: Ebola music.
“If many young students are not yet using modern technology to express themselves, three have done so successfully. Technolotics.com is billed as an irreverent look at technology, politics and the media by three Irish students and for a year it stood as one of the few Irish videoblogs. Technolotics is cheap and cheerful and it proves an important point. Viewers don’t need RTE-grade production values to engage with new personalities. Technolotics found an audience.”